Manager, Standard Design & Innovation (P&C) RSPO
MANAGER, STANDARD DESIGN & INNOVATION (P&C)
Client: Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://rspo.org/about
Reporting: Acting Head, Standard Design & Innovation
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement. Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable. At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
Reporting to the Acting Head, Standard Design & Innovation, the Standard Development Department is looking for an innovative Manager, Standard Design & Innovation (SDI) to help move forward the organisation’s strategy for the department, which is to have best-in-class standards that are inclusive, accessible, credible, and implementable to deliver impact. The department strategy is advanced through three core imperative workstreams: Design Implementation, Facilitate Compliance, and Update & Adapt Standards.
The Manager, SDI (P&C) is responsible for leading the multistakeholder activities involved in the effective design, development, revision, interpretation and maintenance of RSPO’s Principles & Criteria, applicable procedures and systems to drive impact. They are also expected to be familiar with new trends, technologies, and research and analysis, as well as keep up with the market and social trends to constantly work towards the simplification and success of RSPO Standards, system and service. The latter requires understanding of the business extremely well, including the realities of how the practical day-to-day work and related technologies function.
As a key member of the SDI Team, the position will be working closely with the Head of SDI and other team members, together with external experts and stakeholders, as required. To be successful in this role, the successful candidate should be equipped with strong interpersonal skills and be adept in working well with all levels across the organisation, cultures and backgrounds (different stakeholder groups) to lead discussion and consultation reaching consensus. A proven ability to successfully plan and deliver work in a dynamic small team is essential.
The ideal candidate is familiar with sustainable supply chains, agricultural commodity production, and (ideally) standard setting and/or sustainability schemes and innovations.
The location of this role is Malaysia.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
· Coordinate the effective management of day-to-day operations.
· Manage, facilitate and coordinate working group and/or taskforce meetings, focused on revision, development and implementation of RSPO Principles & Criteria, New Planting Procedure (NPP), and Certification System.
· Maintain and lead revisions of P&C, NPP, Certification System, Standard Setting Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), and relevant SOP.
· Coordinate with regional office colleagues in supporting the P&C national interpretation processes (until the endorsement of the NI).
· Periodically review and identify any problems with current implementation and develop solutions that ensure the system is fit for purpose, consistent with global best practices, emerging issues and future-proofed.
· Provide expert support to impact assessments, assurance, and global programmes including benchmarking and endorsement.
· Collaborate closely with the Assurance and Business Solution Team and external developers, design and improve relevant RSPO online platforms (e.g., Interpretation Platform) for Standards interpretation, the Research and Development team working in search of fresh and novel ideas to improve. 8. Maintain compliance with ISEAL’s Code for Standard Setting.
· Represent RSPO at conferences and events related to the RSPO Principles & Criteria in the palm oil sector.
· Conduct, oversee, outline, pilot, and analyse the applicability and/or feasibility of new technologies, system, tools and/or approach to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of RSPO Standards implementation.
· Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
· University degree in an appropriate field (Agricultural, Environmental & Social Management, Sustainable Development or equivalent). Additional academic qualification in the field of Business Management and Political Science would be advantageous.
· Minimum 5 years of experience in sustainability/certification/standards
· Experience in internet research and database management.
· Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive company information.
· Experience in and understanding of the dynamics of stakeholder engagement and process facilitation. Experience working effectively with data in an analytical capacity and synthesising complex information Previous experience in managing direct reports
TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
· Management and leadership skills, including delivering outcomes through multi stakeholder processes. Solid understanding of sustainability, environmental and social issues and standards
· Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and with the ability to learn other software applications quickly.
· Professional knowledge in time management and resourcefulness.
· Knowledge of third-party certification/ecolabelling schemes and their role in sustainability
· Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, negotiation, cross-team project management and consensus-building.
· Adapt to work well with all levels across the organisation, including the ability to communicate across cultures and the ability to say ‘no’ effectively and without negative consequences.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and be able to interact with diverse stakeholders.
· High integrity and a good team player
· Good writing skills and ability to deliver comprehensive analytical reports
· Excellent organisational and work planning skills, capable of multitasking on a wide range of topics
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in. Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
RSPO has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.