Client: Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://rspo.org/about
Reporting: The Head of Integrity
Location: Malaysia, Indonesia, or Singapore (The ASEAN Region) preferred
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
The Specialist, Environmental will be reporting to the Head of Integrity and responsible for coordinating the implementation of RSPO standards and requirements pertaining to climate change, biodiversity and other environmental matters, and provide technical expertise to support activities related to these subject matters globally.
The Specialist, Environmental will be part of RSPO’s fast-growing team and will work collaboratively across RSPO’s teams globally.
The location of this role is Malaysia preferred
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
· Ensure compliance to RSPO standards, relevant technical procedures and guidelines for the production of sustainable palm oil, on matters related to climate change, biodiversity and the environment. This includes reviewing, assessing, and monitoring the implementation of RSPO standards and set of requirements such as Land Use Change Analysis (LUCA), Remediation and Compensation Procedure (RaCP), Greenhouse Gas (GHG), the New Planting Procedure (NPP) and others.
· Be the focal point to coordinate activities and initiatives related to climate change, biodiversity and other environmental matters globally, specifically the implementation of RSPO standards and set of requirements, in collaboration with other subject matter experts internally.
· Support the Standard Development and Technical divisions to communicate and socialise progress (and/or changes) of newly developed and/or revised RSPO standards, procedures and guidance to RSPO members and beyond on all matters related to climate change, biodiversity and environmental agenda.
· Provide expert advice on environmental matters to external and internal stakeholders, including on emerging environment-related issues, events and research relevant to the oil palm sector globally, in collaboration with other subject matter experts internally.
· Establish and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders related to climate change, biodiversity and other environmental matters within the palm oil industry globally.
· Facilitate training and awareness-raising of RSPO standards and requirements for the production of sustainable palm oil internally and externally.
· Work on relevant projects as approved or directed by the Head of Integrity Unit, which includes but is not limited to the production of technical documents, presentations, etc.
· To work in consultation with other relevant Units and/or Departments within the RSPO Secretariat, whilst facilitating coordination as and when required.
· Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
· Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences or other relevant degree or qualification.
· At least 5 years experience assessing climate change, biodiversity and/or environmental issues.
· Working knowledge of environmental law and regulatory processes in Southeast Asia, Latin America or Africa. Extensive understanding of environmental issues including climate change and biodiversity, water management, relating to the agriculture sector.
· Experience in the oil palm industry is an advantage.
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
· Able to engage with a diverse stakeholder base, including NGOs, Corporates and Governments.
· Good understanding of the work of the RSPO and standards.
· Familiar with other sustainability schemes (e.g. Forest Stewardship Council, Marine Stewardship Council, Rainforest Alliance, etc.).
· Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
· Ability and willingness to work with people of different backgrounds and diverse views while maintaining impartiality and objectivity with tact and diplomacy in dealing with both external persons and multinational staff.
· Demonstrable organisational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
· Good understanding of the environmental landscape in countries in which RSPO Grower Members operate.
· High integrity and a good team player.
· Goal-oriented and organised.
· Self-motivated and self-directed.
· Working proficiency in English. Spanish, French and/or Indonesian language skills are a plus.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
RSPO has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.