This Position is ON HOLD
Director of Risk & Compliance - Sudan
Director of Risk & Compliance - Sudan
Client: Alight - https://wearealight.org/our-work/sudan/
Reports to: Country Director
Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan
Employment Type: 12 months renewable contract (unaccompanied post – professional spouse may accompany at their own expense)
Purpose of the Position
The Director of Risk & Compliance reports directly to the Country Director and is responsible for managing all aspects of risk to Alight Sudan, its staff, donors, partners, customers (beneficiaries) as well as its reputation, assets, and interests of all stakeholders. This includes areas such as governance, information security, regulatory and legal compliance, financial compliance, insurance, and operational risk. As Director of Risk & Compliance, you will play a role in shaping the new unit for Alight Sudan, the largest country program in the Alight Global network. The position will play a key role on the senior team in supporting Alight Sudan in elevating its internal systems and processes through streamlining all Risk & Compliance efforts into one functional country unit.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY - PRIMARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
Risk & Compliance Unit Development and Leadership – 40%
· Design, implement, and lead a country-level risk management strategy for the organization within first four months of tenure
· Support the Country Director Office and Senior Management Team (SMT) on embedding a risk-aware culture across the Sudan country program
· Establish and quantify the organization’s 'risk appetite' and ensure risk approach adheres accordingly, conduct minimum of two country-level mini- audits within first year to ensure implementation of risk & compliance practices
· Provide monthly, or as needed updates and reports the Country Director detailing issues or information, as required, with recommendations on addressing concerns and/or information the Alight CEO and CFO
· Assess, evaluate, and lead purchases for insurance; monitor and ensure active insurance policies and coverage; and report and notify Country Director and SMT on insurance claims, compliance status; and other needs
· Provision of proactive and practical regulatory advice to SMT and managers and related support functions
· Proactively identify opportunities for product and service enhancements, working with the CD and SMT
Risk & Compliance Systems, Processes Implementation: 30%
· Work closely with key stakeholders to understand the program and operational requirements for projects, develop effective working relationships during project implementation and ensure business-as-usual ownership is understood by management
· Manage the successful delivery of compliance projects ensuring technical excellence and a practical/business driven approach. Support and lead on Sudan Alight, projects as assigned by the Country Director and/or h/her delegate
· Conduct a horizon scan to increase awareness of risks affecting Alight Sudan and provide recommendations for risk mitigation
· Manage and coordinate internal investigations related to risk and compliance, reporting to the Country Director and/or Global COO investigation findings and recommendations.
· Liaise with the Finance Controller to conduct internal audits and coordinate with external auditors
· Ensure compliance with regulatory and legal obligations while applying a practical approach to risk-based challenges and provide real-world solutions to mitigate risk while maintaining operations
· Continual drive for enhanced efficiency and service (internal and external) in all risk and compliance processes
Risk & Compliance Unit Integration: Staff Education & Training – 30%
· Providing support, education, and training to staff to build risk awareness within the organization.
· Ensure the SMT remains informed of regulatory, legislative, and best practice changes and SMT obligations under such changes and how they impact Alight Sudan
· Continually cultivate a collaborative culture with relevant units (e.g.: finance, human resources, operations) to ensure effectiveness and collective ownership of a risk- aware culture
· Cultivate a risk and compliance culture that centers on service delivery and business continuity while ensuring exceptional risk management and mitigation
· Lead partner and staff on-boarding and trainings to embed a risk-aware culture and drives efficiencies to maintain compliant business continuity
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
· Minimum of 10 years in Risk and Compliance, with at least three years leading a Risk and Compliance Unit in a humanitarian context in a conflict or post-conflict setting, preferrable in East Africa.
· Proven experience establishing, nurturing, and building a Risk & Compliance Unit for a global organization; experience in Sub-Sahara Africa or East Africa a plus
· Knowledge and experience commensurate with this role and having dealt with regulatory environment in Africa, Middle East, European Union, and United States
· Demonstrate extensive technical knowledge and expertise in humanitarian aid and development, including financial and legal compliance, governance, and regulatory risk and regulatory change
· Practical approach to problem solving and cultivating a risk-aware culture that ensures business continuity while mitigating risk
· Demonstrated ability to lead through influence and affect behavior change, vertically and horizontally across functional and geographic boundaries.
· Proven track record of delivering systems and processes that enhance process efficiency
· Experience of leading and motivating staff in a multi-culture, multi-faceted organization
· Ability to produce and present effective presentations and training sessions
· Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff through a participatory approach and in motivating and counseling staff working in a complex emergency environment.
· Direct experience implementing and implementing on USAID and UN system grants.
· Experience of working in fragile states/acute emergences similar to Sudan context, e.g Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Libya, or Afghanistan.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Highly motivated self-starter who leads by example, takes initiative, and thrives in an environment where independence and strong leadership motivates staff and produces results.
- Leader who serves with humility and care for staff and the people Alight serves, embracing the leadership role as one that supports staff in times of both success and challenge.
- Comfortable serving in a leadership role that emulates Alight’s values and approaches work by choosing optimism and doing the doable to support staff in delivering high-quality services to the people served.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly analyze complex situations and take decisions to ensure timely, effective, and compliant solutions support successful service delivery and program implementation.
- Most comfortable and successful working in fast-paced, fluid work environment, effectively managing multiple priorities with grace and humor.
- An exemplary team leader/player who understands the role of a leader is to support the team and motivate staff through working side-by-side to find solutions, celebrate successes, recognize achievements, and takes corrective action with humility and to support program success.
- Calm and poised under pressure, with an ability to lead team through crisis situations with clear direction, thoughtful solutions, and a caring nature to reassure staff, partners, donors, and beneficiaries.
- Willingness to work and live Sudan with limited access to services, including electricity and water breaks, unstable internet and mobile services, and limited markets.
- Intellectually curious and culturally sensitive, with an ability to listen and learn about the context before acting and honor and respect the knowledge, insight, and perspectives of Sudanese staff.
You strive for...
· Humility. You learn from others and lead with an open heart and open mind, absent of ego and judgement.
· Inclusivity. Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
· Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
· Joy. Seriously! We believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
· Flexibility. We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
· Creativity. You apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
The confidential client has hired Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with sourcing applicants for this position. Candidates are welcome to contact GRS with inquiries or to apply directly with a cover letter and CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. www.WeAreAlight.org
Alight also has a culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it. An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.