Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Director
Client: Pathfinder International https://www.pathfinder.org
Locations: Watertown, MA or Washington, D.C. preferred (other locations considered case-by-case)
Summary: Leads and executes Pathfinder’s global SRHR strategy to deliver quality sexual and reproductive health services to communities. Partners with other business unit leads to reinforce matrix project teams and ensure effective project management and service delivery. Maintains status as a leader in the field of SRHR as a successful partner in the development and implementation of innovative programs. Develops and maintains relationships with donors, government agencies, and Country Directors.
Key Job Outcomes:
Setting Direction: Leads in setting direction and coordinating teams and projects focused on the innovative design, funding, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of programs and projects that advance community engagement and strengthening goals. In collaboration with the Chief Programs & Impact Officer and Director of Systems Strengthening & Capacity Building, develop guidelines, standards and protocols for the unit
Management: Ensures effective and optimal global resourcing in the areas of technical assistance, project management and proposal development. Recruits, hires, supervises and develops staff; assigns roles and responsibilities, manages performance. Provides coaching and mentoring to Technical Advisors in addition to managing unit’s budget.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning: Develops and oversees SRHR dashboard of unit/country activities. Partners with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning to monitor and evaluate impact and capture unit/projects performance and results.
Safety and Security: Partners with CPIO, Country Directors as well as Operations, IT, Finance, and Legal & Compliance to ensure that appropriate security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly and adhered to by the staff in all offices.
Reporting and Communications: Provides accurate and timely reporting and updates on the SRHR programs’ and projects’ progress and difficulties. Partners with Marketing and Communications to ensure that the documentation of unit/project achievements for communications materials such as the annual reports, brochures, and website updates
Engagement: Supports CPIO to cultivate and strengthen positive, productive relationships with USAID, partners, Ministry of Health and other governmental agencies so that Pathfinder International is consistently viewed as an effective implementing partner in meeting and achieving SRHR targets. Represents Pathfinder in relevant SRHR interagency working groups and international conferences.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
Global Health System: Deep knowledge of SRHR ecosystem with the global health and community engagement context.
Program and Project Planning and Management: Deep skills in program and project management and planning to fulfill performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Deep knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of programs, including program strategies and indicators, and the latest professional developments in SRHR. Proven skills in designing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating community-based interventions with USAID, WHO, and other donor organizations working in the health sector.
Leadership: Mastery of skills as a leader in health and health service delivery in developing countries.
Management and Supervision: Proven ability to lead, manage, and develop direct reports within a matrix culture.
Change Leadership: Ability to lead change. Ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility in managing change across a broad group of stakeholders in an inclusive manner.
Operations and Financial Management: Deep knowledge of operations and financial management in developing countries.
Presentation Skills: Proven ability to make presentations on results and products to small and large groups.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to thrive in a matrix organization, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
- Languages: Proven writing and speaking skills using local languages and English language.
- Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Community Relations: Mastery of skills in facilitating working relationships between partners, government officials, and communities.
- Software Applications: Working knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, business, marketing, social science or related discipline
- Prefer: Master’s degree
- 10 years’ experience in managing relationships across large, international organizations
- 5 years’ experience managing and developing direct reports
- 5 years’ experience international non-profit experience
- Prefer: Experience in developing and executing organization-wide strategies
- Prefer: Experience with large government and foundation funded projects
- Prefer: Experience managing large, complex family planning projects while living in developing countries
Travel required (at least 25%)
Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
Open to remote employment
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
To Apply: Pathfinder International has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
501 Westport Avenue, Suite 285, Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.