Director of Global Programs
Client: Children International (https://www.children.org/ )
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Children International is a nonprofit humanitarian organization working to eradicate poverty around the world. At CI, we believe that every child matter and that it is simply unacceptable that over a billion children live in poverty. The CI approach is to invest in our kids and youth by providing a safe place, a caring team and a path out of poverty through programs in health, education, empowerment and employment. We provide this support for 250,000 children in 13 agencies working in 10 countries around the world.
The work Children International does on behalf of children in poverty is funded primarily through a one-to-one sponsorship model. We are transforming our funding model to dramatically increase the support we provide our kids. Additionally, we are taking our programs from good to great by elevating our people systems and practices worldwide. That’s where you come in.
The Director of Global Programs is responsible for ensuring the global library of program content meets the needs of children and youth in all stages of their development and for coaching program leaders around the world on program design and effectiveness. This position will also be responsible for providing insights in the development of the agencies’ 5-year strategic plans based on Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) data, with the ultimate goal of eradicating poverty for CI kids. This is accomplished through the coordination of a diverse multi-office program team providing global strategic and technical program support in health, education, child and youth empowerment and employment programs.
The responsibilities of this role are divided into three major categories: Program Development, Global Leadership and Coaching, and Global Monitoring and Evaluation (MEL).
- Research, develop and maintain a library of content – programs, applications, curriculum – to efficiently and effectively deliver on the unique CI strategic objectives (SOs) derived from external best practice, agency-created modules and program officer expertise. Ensure the MEL is established at all levels to measure appropriate outcomes and delivery success.
- Manage a team of program leaders that provide specific expertise on key areas of focus of the framework, have an external network of sector leaders and have the ability to coach and partner globally for efficient and effective program design.
- Identify potential global partners for efficient and effective implementation of our program framework.
- Link externally with thought leaders in the social development program space. Engage with child development leaders to understand best practices for “group” social work – recommending tracks and associated program content based on the needs of our children and youth.
- Represent Children International in the international child development and program model space. Speak to our leadership in this sector. Seek connections and membership with key thought leader groups in program and child development.
- Provide coaching and feedback to program design, delivery and MEL feedback around the world. Revise design and MEL based on these learnings. Cultivate a community of practice around program design and delivery.
- Partner with our agencies, regional leadership and our data scientists to provide insights on focus areas to refine their tracks and program priorities to drive greater impact for their beneficiaries.
- Complete audits of programs on a regular basis to provide feedback and study best practice for integration into future models of program design.
- Own the global survey design to assess the impact of the program framework and recommend interventions in programs or tracks.
- Partner internally with Global Fundraising as an expert interpreter of our model and results for communication to contributors.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred.
- Eight to Ten (8-10) years of related work experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English and Spanish.
- Management experience with a diverse global team.
- Developing country, field-based work experience to ensure an understanding of the cultural diversity we work with.
- Child development social work and program or education curriculum experience within the international development space.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) design experience.
- A great listener with strong influence, coaching and partnering skills across global cultures. A continuous learner and an advocate for change.
To Apply: Children International has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to: