Chief Financial Officer
Client: Grameen Foundation USA - http://www.grameenfoundation.org
Location: Washington, DC
Reopend Recruitment: 9 December 2016
Job Summary: The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for all matters pertaining to the financial management of Grameen Foundation USA. The CFO will provide the Board, President/CEO, and department managers with the financial information needed to make sound management decisions regarding the short, medium and long-term direction of GF-USA. This will involve the production of complete, timely, and accurate budgets and financial reports, as well as the analysis and interpretation of same, together with recommendations on available options and strategies for strengthening the overall financial position of GF-USA. Responsibilities also include the management of the organizations assets, establishment, enforcement and regular updating of financial policies and controls, and accounting and financial reporting.
As the CFO of the organization s/he, will report directly to the President/CEO and will have some degree of contact with the Board of Directors and the Finance and Audit and Sustainability Committees of the Board, in particular. She or he will also coordinate closely with all project directors and department heads and other members of the executive leadership team.
Reporting and relationships:
Supervisory: The CFO will supervise Accounting and Finance staff.
Reporting: The CFO reports to the President/CEO of Grameen Foundation USA.
Coordination: The CFO coordinates with ELT (Executive Leadership Team), all department heads and project directors, the external auditors, the Treasurer and other members of the Board of Directors, and from time to time, major financial supporters of GF-USA. The incumbent will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Human Resources and the General Counsel on internal policy and operational matters.
Availability: The CFO will be expected to work a typical work week of 37.5 hours plus additional hours as necessary to get the job done.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide the President/CEO, Board, ELT and department heads/program managers with financial information needed to make sound management decisions. Oversee financial reporting to department managers, donors, and others as necessary;
- Develop (where needed), update/revise, and enforce all accounting and financial policies through development of appropriate systems and internal controls and training/orientation of staff, consultants and volunteers in such policies;
- Establish and maintain relationships with commercial banks and investment managers providing financial services to GF-USA such as checking accounts, investment products, etc.;
- Manage the organizations operating funds and reserve funds in accordance with the Board approved investment policy ensuring earning opportunities are maximized;
- Coordinate with the external auditors and corporate Treasurer on all matters pertaining to the annual audit,
- Coordinate between fund managers, plan trustees, and human resources department regarding selection of investment options under the organization’s retirement plan;
- Oversee and coordinate the annual budget process;
- Review and approve budgets in requests for funding from donors and other financial supporters;
- Provide input on financial matters during development of new programs and review and provide input on financial terms of programmatic loans, guarantees, and equity investments;
- Recruit, hire, supervise and evaluate employees who have primary responsibility for the accounting and financial management of GF-USA;
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team that works with the President/CEO to chart the course of GF-USA;
- Ensure financial operations are in compliance with relevant laws, government regulations, grant terms and conditions, GAAP, SEC and IRS and other applicable regulations;
- Other duties as needed from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In depth understanding of financial management to include GAAP and fund accounting, relevant IRS regulations, requirements; Nonprofit experience and USAID financial management highly desirable;
- Ability to see big picture vision while ensuring details are attended to;
- Excellent skills in Excel, accounting software packages, PowerPoint, and strong mathematical/quantitative analysis skills;
- Excellent writing skills, interpersonal, communications, public speaking and presentation skills
- Solid working knowledge of investment and capital resource community.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree, Masters in Business Administration or equivalent is highly desirable;
- At least 10 year’s relevant work experience in a senior level finance area;
- Experience in overseeing the accounting and finances of a non-profit organization with a budget of at least $16 million annually; international transactions /exchanges highly desirable, previous experience working in private or public sector programs is a plus
- Experience managing USAID grants and government reporting, cooperative agreements, and contracts highly desirable, not required;
- Supervisory experience; and CPA designation a plus.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
To Apply: Grameen Foundation USA has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
501 Westport Avenue, Suite 285, Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
Your cover letter should at least address the following topics:
1) Why you are interested in the position and Grameen Foundation USA.
2) How you believe your skills and experiences will meet the needs of the position and contribute to the Grameen Foundation USA’s mission.
3) How you learned of this position.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Grameen Foundation USA offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Grameen Foundatiion USA is an equal opportunity employer