HARVESTPLUS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
INTERNATIONALLY RECRUITED POSITION
HarvestPlus seeks a Chief Executive Officer with exceptional leadership, management, and entrepreneurial skills to lead a successful global endeavor. HarvestPlus is at a transformational point in its effort to promote the sustainable scale-up of biofortified crops globally to improve public health and nutrition, now underway in 60 countries. The CEO will be an accomplished strategist, comfortably bridging public and private sector spheres – including their objectives, approaches, and operating environments. As the organization’s top champion for biofortification, he/she will also be a proven resource mobilizer, and expert spokesperson capable of reaching a wide variety of audiences including policy makers, scientific communities, media, implementing agencies, and the general public. The position is located at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC, and will require significant international travel. The CEO will lead both the current HarvestPlus program, a joint venture between IFPRI and CIAT, and “HarvestPlus Solutions,” an independent 501(c)3 organization newly-established to undertake innovative delivery activities for scale up of biofortified crops.
HarvestPlus improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals while providing global leadership on evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The HarvestPlus program is coordinated by two of these centers, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
HarvestPlus leads a global effort to develop and disseminate nutrient-rich staple food crops to improve nutrition and public health globally, a strategy referred to as biofortification. Mineral and vitamin deficiencies are major public health problems in developing countries, with high economic costs. Biofortification has demonstrated potential to make a major contribution to reducing these mineral and vitamin deficiencies and offers the most sustainable solution.
The HarvestPlus vision is that one billion people will be regularly consuming biofortified crops by 2030. To date, more than 290 biofortified crop varieties, developed with partners under HarvestPlus funding, have been released in 30 countries. In-country testing is currently in progress in more than 30 countries. By the end of 2017, HarvestPlus early-stage delivery activities directly reached 6.7 million farm households with biofortified crops. Biofortification is widely recognized as highly cost-effective. Nutritional efficacy is well-established.
HarvestPlus is an interdisciplinary program that works with the private sector, governments, multilateral institutions, civil society organizations, and academic and research institutions. The annual budget of HarvestPlus in 2018 is $36 million.
The HarvestPlus program, with no legal status, is a joint venture between the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), with more than 150 multidisciplinary and geographically dispersed staff members.
HarvestPlus Solutions is an independent 501(c)3 organization, newly-established to undertake innovative delivery activities for scale up of biofortified crops. Close coordination with HarvestPlus is ensured by having the same two persons serve as CEO and CFO of both HarvestPlus and HarvestPlus Solutions, and with the same persons serving on the HarvestPlus Program Advisory Committee, and the HarvestPlus Solutions Board of Trustees.
- Achieve wide recognition and support for HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions as the global leader for biofortification.
- Develop and successfully pursue an evolutionary vision and roadmap for HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions to achieve the goal of reaching 1 billion people with biofortified crops/foods.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions with its highest level stakeholders, and in various international fora.
- Work with the joint venture leadership and lead engagement with HarvestPlus external advisory board and the HarvestPlus Solutions Board of Trustees.
Management and Transformation
- Provide leadership to HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions activities and staff, including serving as chair of the senior management committee.
- Ensure effective operational management and coordination of HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions as it continues to grow and adapt its focus, function, and form, in response to evolving needs and opportunities.
- Manage overall budget, and ensure accountability and risk management systems are adequate and effective, especially in the face of evolving functions and activities of HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions
- Develop partnerships across several sectors to meet HarvestPlus goals for biofortification generally and to support the wide range of HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions activities. These include crop development and delivery (crop research, seed sector development, promotion of consumption) as well as nutritional, impact and policy research; advocacy, standards, and regulatory; and operational and technical support functions.
- Ensure adequate resource mobilization for all aspects of HarvestPlus/HarvestPlus Solutions activities.
Directly engage to meet fundraising goals.
- Provide strategic oversight to and direct engagement in public and private partnership development for program research, crop development, crop delivery systems, technical assistance, and resource mobilization.
Through multi-pronged approaches:
- Ensure the rapid uptake of biofortified crops by farmers and consumers in developing countries to keep on track to achieving 1 billion persons by 2030, including:
- 50 million farming households reached by 2020.
- 75 national governments acknowledge/engage with biofortification as a strategy to address micronutrient deficiencies.
- 6 biofortified crops (zinc rice and wheat; iron beans and pearl millet; provitamin A cassava and maize) released with target levels in 10 countries by 2020.
- Achieve the ‘mainstreaming’ of biofortification activities in:
- Global and national agricultural research programs, national level seed distribution systems.
- National health/nutrition policies and programs (including agricultural extension, nutrition education, and vulnerable group support).
- A range of institutions that deliver new agricultural and food technologies, and programs in developing countries.
- Advanced degree in relevant field with 15 years of relevant experience, preferably in an executive level position
- Minimum of ten years of experience as a manager of complex programs with a large, multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural, and geographically-dispersed staff.
- Ability to inspire and communicate well to diverse audiences and under a range of circumstances throughout the global community.
- Experience in or substantial familiarity with marketing and distribution.
- Experience in or substantial familiarity with the research process.
- Demonstrated technical competence in one or more of the following areas: agriculture, human nutrition, seed distribution, crop extension, consumer marketing, and/or economics in the context of developing countries; extensive networks in one or more of these communities is a must.
- Demonstrated ability for successful fundraising from the private and/or public sector.
- Possess entrepreneurial spirit – innovative and goal oriented.
- Experience in developing countries.
- Familiarity with agricultural technology transfer.
- Ability to travel extensively.
- Management experience with organizational transformation.
- Understanding of impact and effort needed for branding.
Applicants: HarvestPlus has engaged with Global Recruitment Specialist for the recruitment of the Chief Executive Officer position. Expressions of interest can be submitted your application (cover letter and update CV) to: Patrick Shields, Search Manager at: Shields@globalrecruitment.net . For more information about HarvestPlus and/or IFPRI, please visit our websites at www.HarvestPlus.org and www.ifpri.org. EOE.