Manager, Decent Living Wage
Manager, Decent Living Wage
Client: Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://rspo.org/about
Reporting: To the Chief Operating Officer
Location: The location of this role is flexible but ASEAN region is preferred
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
With the RSPO 2018 Principles & Criteria (P&C), RSPO took a giant step by endorsing the globally recognised Anker Methodology used by the Global Living Wage Coalition for RSPO’s Decent Living Wage (DLW) benchmarking. No DLW benchmarks based upon the RSPO Endorsed Methodology currently exist in the main RSPO-producing countries, and no organisation has ventured into a benchmarking exercise at this scale before.
As a result, RSPO will conduct benchmarking studies in all countries where RSPO members have supply bases, aiming to establish living wage benchmarks in countries in Africa, Latin America and Southeast Asia.
The Manager, Decent Living Wage will be reporting directly to the Head of Human Rights & Social Standards and responsible to oversee the development of benchmarks for the RSPO to implement the DLW standard in accordance with the RSPO P&C 2018. They shall design clear points of engagement and processes that will ensure RSPO created DLW benchmarks are viewed as accurate and accepted.
This position is for a fixed term of two years and may be extended upon agreement of both parties.
The location of this role is flexible but ASEAN region is preferred.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- Act as the focal point and technical expert on the Decent Living Wage (DLW) benchmarking exercise globally for the relevant committees and divisions within the RSPO Secretariat, and supervise the external experts engaged for this exercise.
- Develop benchmarks that are acceptable as industry established benchmarks for DLW in countries where RSPO Grower Members operate, which shall include collaboration and consultation with relevant national and local stakeholders, and the relevant RSPO working groups, and in accordance with the RSPO Endorsed Methodology.
- Leverage the Anker Methodology and build local research capacity in Africa, Latin America and Southeast Asia to develop the DLW benchmarks, ensuring that the RSPO DLW estimates are uniformly credible and cross-country comparable, and generate new research on special topics to support practical implementation.
- Advise the RSPO senior management on its strategic roadmap for the RSPO to meet its policy commitments on living wage, and engage RSPO Members and stakeholders in closing gaps to DLW, including developing guidance for practical, step-wise implementation and recommendations.
- Assist RSPO Members with a baseline measurement for current wages by company and prevailing wages and any existing gaps, and provide guidance on accurate measurement in line with the principles of the Anker Methodology, adapted to the practical realities of the palm oil industry.
- Work closely with the relevant divisions within the RSPO Secretariat in the various regions and/or countries, the relevant committees and the external experts to ensure that the benchmarks are developed aligned to the RSPO 2018 P&C.
- Create and communicate a DLW assessment system that allows accurate and consistent analysis by RSPO Members and/or auditors, including assessment of in-kind benefits and steps to efficiently utilise DLW for smallholder applicability.
- Create and maintain a technical review system that ensures consistency and quality in living wage studies for all future benchmarking needs for the RSPO.
- Ensure the development and revision of relevant key documents, procedures and guidelines related to DLW are in line with the Anker Methodology and are based on best practices and/or requirements of relevant standards.
- Train RSPO Secretariat staff on the Anker Methodology and its implementation, and create the relevant processes, protocols, and training documents.
- Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
- University degree from top-tier programme in social sciences, or equivalent. A graduate degree would be advantageous.
- 5+ years of work experience in research, analysis and/or training related to living wage and living income (based on the Anker Methodology) to inform and influence companies and shape policy
- Extensive understanding of the Anker Methodology and with the national context in Southeast Asia, Africa and/or Latin America.
- Proficiency with the SA8000® Standard, based on internationally recognised standards of decent work, including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, ILO conventions, and national laws.
- Experience working in the palm oil industry or other agricultural commodities.
- Experience working in the area of livelihoods and poverty alleviation in Southeast Asia, Africa and/or Latin America, particularly in the palm oil provinces in these regions.
- Able to collaborate and consult with local stakeholders particularly relevant RSPO members, relevant government bodies, wage council at the national/provincial and/or district levels, worker unions and any other important stakeholders.
- Experience supervising, overseeing projects involving multiple stakeholders.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and interact with different stakeholders.
- A high proficiency in English with good communication skills.
- Ability in establishing cooperation and rapport with internal and external parties of different backgrounds and/or nationalities.
- High integrity and a good team player.
- Goal-oriented and organised.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Ability to be flexible on the implementation of projects and meet given deadlines.
- Strong strategic planning skills.
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
RSPO has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.