Head of Operations - Sudan
Head of Operations - Sudan
Client: Alight - https://wearealight.org/our-work/sudan/
Reports to: Country Director
Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan (40% Nairobi, Kenya)
Employment Type: 12 months renewable contract (unaccompanied post – professional spouse may accompany at their own expense)
Alight Sudan is creating an exciting new senior role for an experienced, senior professional with a proven track record of leading high-volume international operations units in conflict and post-conflict humanitarian responses. The ideal candidate will serve as the country program’s first Head of Operations (HoO) and set a bold vision to reimagine how the country program’s Operations Unit must evolve to meet the demands of a US$30-million emergency humanitarian response program – and growing. As a senior leader, the right candidate is most comfortable working with autonomy and taking key decisions to establish systems and processes to ensure the operations unit functional successfully and with a service-mindset to support the frontline staff implementing lifesaving aid. At the same time, this individual will be a collaborator and communicator, thriving in an environment of mutual respect, care, concern, and support for Alight colleagues, government collaborators, partners, donors, vendors, and the communities we serve. S/He is confident in their talent and ability, but applies humility, humor, and grace as s/he works with the Senior Management Team to transform the country program’s Operations Unit. A dedicated humanitarian who understands that exceptional lifesaving humanitarian action has, at its core, a highly functional, fully accountable, and systematic and transparent Operations Unit that delivers for the teams we support so they, in turn, can deliver for people we serve.
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the HoO will ensure strategic and effective Alight operations, including trusted, transparent, consistent, and high-quality service delivery to ensure exceptional support for program/project delivery. The HoO is responsible for the strategic oversight of Alight Sudan’s country operations and will have the opportunity to build the unit under his/her vision, leading, recruiting, training, and coaching a a quality country team. S/he will lead review and maintain regular evaluation of systems and processes to ensure policies and procedures support Alight Sudan’s complex program and operating environment. S/He will develop, implement, and monitor effective and efficient business systems and operational processes to support all program sector activities, assuring accountability, responsibility, and transparency.
The HOP supervises and coaches a core operation team, including Supply Chain, Administration/Liaison, Security & Information Technology (IT). The HoO will foster a collaborative, supportive work environment and a culture of accountability within each unit and across teams, in support of, and including Country office and field-level operations teams.
Together with the Senior Management Team colleagues, the HoO is responsible for leading the planning, , supervision, implementation, monitoring, documentation, and administration of Alight operational systems in accordance with Alight global and country-level policies, priorities, procedures and guidelines, and in line with donor regulations. S/He oversees the management of Alight’s assets, fleet, facilities, and contractual agreements related to operations.
The HoO manages all aspects of safety and security for the country program, under the direction of the Country Director (CD) and in collaboration with the Head of Program Implementation and Partnerships (HoP) and Deputy Country Director, as well as Senior Area Manager, Darfur.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the HoP is a key partner in Alight Sudan’s strategic planning and decision-making. S/He is also responsible for knowledge building and knowledge transfer to build capacity of a functional, successful country office and field-level operations function. a
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Administration/Operational Management – 20%
Provide strategic leadership to ensure the Operations Department focuses on key achievements and results.
· Provide strategic leadership and effective planning for Procurement, Administration, Logistics, Liaison and IT department, and oversight of operational activities to support of program activities to ensure successful and timely program implementation and achievement of targets within budgeted allocation.
· Collaborate closely with Senior Management Team and Alight program and field teams on respective projects at all levels to support successful supply chain support for program implementation on time and within budget.
· Provide leadership to Field Operations Managers to ensure effective and efficient management of Alight facilities, fleet, assets through establishing and established logistics infrastructure (warehousing, transport, distribution) to support program implementation.
· Full compliance of operations with Alight and donor rules, regulations, and policies.
· Audit, review, analyze, and revise all internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and operational policies to support compliance and seamless and timely operational service delivery.
· Provide critical leadership and management of processing and updating of service contracts and framework agreements, including vendor contracts for legal counsel, security support, equipment maintenance, etc.
· Lead and oversee site selection of and security clearance for all Alight Sudan facilities, including offices, the offices guesthouses, and warehouses and direct negotiations and ensure proper lease management year-over-year through staff training, management, and accountability. Direct country-wide IT audit and lead strategic planning with SMT, field-level IT and program leads to ensure Alight Sudan maintains best-in-practice information technology infrastructure, including equipment, services, and technical staffing.
· Assess and ensure installation and full functioning of all IT equipment and licensed software.
· Ensure optimum connectivity with minimum disruptions and rapid recovery of systems and networks.
Supply Chain Management – 20%
· Supervise Supply Chain staff to ensure proper warehousing, communication, procurement, assets and stock management, and transportation to support program implementation.
· Provide technical leadership, training, and support to Supply Chain Managers/Senior Officers for the transparent and auditable management of all procurements for the Sudan Country Office, in line with the policies and procedures of Alight International and donor regulations.
· Oversee the implementation of supply chain strategies, e.g.: sourcing strategy, supplier selection, evaluation, and performance measurement of suppliers.
· Identify and analyze potential risks associated with CO sourcing and supply chain management practices and develop processes, activities, and improvement projects which reduce risk and improve delivery.
· Ensure use of appropriate tools to facilitate procurement and price lists of procured items.
· Ensure the timely completion of all purchases/procurements and regular submission of procurement committee minutes.
· Review requests of large purchases to verify vendor, allowable expense, ensure accurate budget coding, availability of required supporting documents. Endorse for CD or HQ authorization, in accordance with policy on approval levels.
Security Management & Systems – 15%
· Collaborate closely with Country Director and HoP on security and safety management.
· Serve as key security focal point for Global Security Advisor, based in Nairobi.
· Advise Senior Area Managers/Area Managers on Security Safety Risk Management (SSRM) strategies, including the control and mitigation of risks and logistics and procurement requirements for compliance; ensure consistent security audits and establish systems and timeline for country and field- level security reviews with in global best practice standards (e.g. bi-annually, bi-monthly, etc.)
· Manage the SSRM process, supervising implementation of safety management policies, protocols, procedures, and mitigation measures.
· Design and lead security and safety briefings for new Alight staff and all ALIGHT visitors; ensure bi-annual security refresher trainings for all staff
· In coordination with the Global Security Advisor and Senior/Area Managers, review and update the Field Security Manual bi-annually, based on operating environment.
· Maintain regular field visits to monitor implementation of safety and security guidelines, assess field situation, and modify and adapt safety plans as required to ensure staff and beneficiary security and safety.
· Develop and lead trainings for focal points, including development of site-specific staff security and safety plans, as well as protocol for communications technologies and equipment; establish measurement and evaluation system to ensure security focal points achieve key benchmarks in capacity
· Ensure and test regularly the functioning security and safety communication systems for country-level and field-level operations, including developing and monitoring SOPs
· Establish two desktop security exercises and a minimum of one field security drill annually
Supervision – 15%
· Supervise, mentor and motivate operations teams, evaluating current Unit staffing structure and further clarify roles and responsibilities in, and accountability for operational support for program implementation.
· Coaching, mentoring and pursuing professional development opportunities for staff, working with the new Head of Human Resources to establish staff performance indicators and accountabilities.
· Lead professional development vision and create opportunities for staff capacity building and leadership development.
· Directly engage in transferring knowledge on operations systems, policies, and processes, setting staff up for success in current and future professional roles
· Ensure performance plans of logistics/procurement, IT, Administration/liaison, and Security teams are developed in a timely manner, monitored regularly, and measured annually through Alight’s performance management process, in collaboration with Head of HR and HR unit.
· Lead fair and transparent annual performance appraisal process.
Strategic Management – 20%
· Provide strategic leadership for country program operations, including evaluating current operating systems and developing strategic recommendations to strengthen systems in support of program implementation.
· Actively engage in strategic discussions and planning related to the country program and embrace leadership role as a member of the SMT, collaborating with peers to ensure successful and collaborative country program management overall and beyond operations.
· Participating in ALIGHT Sudan Annual Strategic Planning process, with special focus on operations in support of program delivery.
· Proactively develop the skills of ALIGHT staff to understand and use supply chain tools and services to design and implement quality programming.
· Contribute to development of grant development and budget recommendations related to operational costs, staffing, and activities during the program development process.
· Attend Logistics Cluster, UNDSS, OCHA, and other meetings on staff safety matters as needed and as appropriate and strengthen relationships with key security and safety contacts at the government, state, donor, and partner levels.
Reporting – 10%
· Ensure that monthly and quarterly procurement plans are developed, tracked, evaluated, and submitted, and operations services are provided within budget and compliant with donor requirements.
· Review, analyze and revise monthly procurement documentation processes and direct procurement teams to closely collaborate with program teams on closing gaps in actual versus planned procurements month-over-month.
· Direct staff on successful, detailed, and clear monthly reports tfor procurement, assets, contractor database, and payments; working closely with the HoP and Senior/Area Managers to take corrective action on gaps, delays, and concerns that impact timely and successful program quality and delivery.
· Ensure compliance with Key Performance Indicator reporting and compile monthly KPI and logistics management reports and share with Global Logistics & Supply Chain Unit.
· Establish and streamline security and safety monitoring, analysis, and reporting protocols and systems for security incidents, communicating regularly and transparently to the Country Director all security incidents within two hours of breach. Collaborate and lead field security focal points and build capacity of team. Ensure timely and accurate weekly Security & Staff Safety Reports and Incident Reports are filed with Country Director and Global Security Advisor, as other SMT members as appropriate.
· Direct assets inventory process, including an online tracking system to ensure compliance with Alight, donor, and legal requirements
These are the things we’re aiming to find. However, we’re open to being surprised. If you embody the spirt of Alight, care deeply about the cause, and if you bring something else that’s special, then please reach out.
· Proven leader with a minimum of 10 years of experience managing staff, at least seven (7) years at the senior leadership level.
· Minimum five (10) years of progressive experience with responsibility for procurement, logistics/supply chain management, administration, and information technology, particularly with INGO in Africa and/or the MENA Region.
· Minimum seven (7) years of experience managing humanitarian field security and safety efforts in secure and/or hostile environments.
· Strong analytical and organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple priorities with minimal supervision and to generate results in challenging and complex operating environment.
· Successful, demonstrated track record of professional achievement at the strategic and operational levels with an ability to track and monitor trends and issues; identify and recommend strategic solutions; evaluate evidence and make quick but critical decisions, and deliver results in a timely and efficient manner.
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and a collaborative spirit that motivates colleagues and produces results.
· Ability to succeed as a team leader and team member, forming trusting and credible work relationships within the SMT and staff.
· Experience working international donor administrative policies and procedures, including complex donor requirements.
· Experience working internationally, including in Africa and conflict/post-conflict humanitarian crisis setting.
· Ability to work productively, impartially, and respectfully in a multi-cultural environment.
· Employs a can-do, solutions-oriented approach to find creative, innovative solutions in a complex operating environment.
· Willingness and ability to work in insecure environment and adhere to ALIGHT security policies.
· Fluent in spoken, reading, and written English; Arabic language skills an asset.
· Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and demonstrated experience required; Master’s degree preferred
You strive for...
· Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
· Inclusivity. Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
· Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
· Joy. Seriously! We believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
· Flexibility. We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
· Creativity. You apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
Alight has hired Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with sourcing applicants for this position. Candidates are welcome to contact GRS with inquiries or to apply directly with a cover letter and CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. www.WeAreAlight.org
Alight also has a culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it. An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.