DIRECTOR STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
DIRECTOR STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
Client: Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://rspo.org/about
Department: STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
Reporting: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Location: FLEXIBLE – ASEAN PREFERRED
PURPOSE OF POSITION
As a multi-stakeholder organisation, the RSPO relies on creating interconnectivity between civil society, business and governments. Our internal and external stakeholders play a significant role in bringing these often differing groups together.
The RSPO seeks a dynamic, experienced and skilled communications professional with a strong track record of strategic and creative leadership that grows audiences, deepens engagement and shifts narratives and perspectives.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Stakeholder Engagement is responsible for creating, implementing, and evaluating a global engagement strategy that increases the organisation’s visibility and reputation as a standard setter and thought leader in sustainable development, climate change, environmental protection, and human rights.
The Director, Stakeholder Engagement will lead four global teams covering, Government Affairs, Marketing, Media Relations, and Digital Communications. S/he will oversee the expansion of internal and external communications platforms (including the development of a new website, social media, newsletters, public education, promotional materials, and events).
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
· Design and implement a global stakeholder engagement and policy strategy for the RSPO that is aligned with the objectives of the Theory of Change;
· Lead and develop a global team of marketing and communications professionals spanning Asia, Africa, Europe, LatAm, and North America;
· Set goals, objectives, activities, and metrics for stakeholder engagement in line with the RSPO’s 5-year operational plan.
· As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, coordinate with Directors, Committees, and stakeholders, to drive and support regional and local communications plans that are aligned with the RSPO’s core messaging and branding.
· Create and manage a divisional budget: set targets, track expenses, and oversee external contracts with vendors.
· Evaluate progress on stakeholder engagement strategy, seek out best practices, and regularly assess the effectiveness of the organisation’s communication channels by putting in place relevant metrics and KPIs.
· Build relationships and manage contacts with key journalists, editors and other media stakeholders; and manage the global voice of the organisation by being the spokesperson as required.
· Provide creative direction on the strategic preparation and implementation of press materials, online communications, newsletters and other communications activities especially focussing on a multi stakeholder engagement scenario.
· Serve as RSPO’s representative in public events, generate speaking opportunities, and provide talking points and speeches for key organisational spokespeople to expand the organisation’s reach.
· Oversee organisational style guide, and supervise visual branding and promotional projects (from concept to implementation to evaluation), liaising with staff and vendors;
· Oversee the management and relaunch of the website and online content development, and supervise digital outreach and social media strategy (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
· Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organisation and define and execute appropriate strategies to address them in a timely fashion.
· Support the CEO / COO and the Board of Governors of the RSPO in proactively handling issues through risk management plans and trend-spotting
· Build and supervise a global Government Relations Unit to develop external policy communications and advocacy strategies for global policy makers and government entities to gain a seat at the table for RSPO
· Develop a deep understanding of the diverse network of community organisations and be a champion of the RSPO’s Smallholders Strategy and Jurisdictional Approaches to improve the breadth and inclusivity of RSPO certification.
· Oversee the RSPO’s "Intermediary Organisations Outreach" programmes in South East Asia, Africa and Latin America aimed at capacity building and sustainable development socialisation within local communities and grassroot NGOs in these regions.
· Build, mentor, and lead a team promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
· Work with the Human Resource Division to ensure that the learning needs of staff in relation to communication and outreach activities are identified and that appropriate training is provided
Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
DESIRED COMPETENCIES & QUALIFICATIONS
The Director of Outreach & Engagement must have at least 15 years of communications, outreach and market development experience, preferably in a leadership role within international multi-cultural organisations (commercial or non-profit), and covering areas such as media relations, government affairs, and global multi stakeholder communications.
The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it in the right language and to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Technical & Professional Requirements:
· Highly collaborative style; experience in developing and implementing communications strategies and has an in-depth understanding of the Global press and social media
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
· A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
· Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
· High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
· Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, RSPO members, stakeholders and other supporters
· Self-starter, able to work independently, and enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
❑ Exceptional at learning on the fly.
❑ Must be willing to take calculated risks and try new approaches to solve tough problems.
❑ Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and interact with different stakeholders
❑ Fluency in English is a must with excellent communication skills
❑ Proficiency in multiple global widely spoken, languages will be an advantage Ability in establishing cooperation and rapport with internal and external parties of different backgrounds and/or nationalities
❑ High integrity and a good team player
❑ Goal oriented and organized
❑ Self-motivated and self-directed
❑ Ability to work under pressure
❑ Strong in strategic and negotiation skills
HOW TO APPLY
RSPO has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Donna Gillotte, Senior Recruiter
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.