Monitoring, Evaluations, Analysis, and Learning (MEAL) Director
Position: Monitoring, Evaluations, Analysis, and Learning (MEAL) Director
Location: Washington, DC (NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic, with intent to return to working in Washington, DC in the future. The client reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee)
The client is a small-business International Development firm, based out of Washington DC, and is dedicated to programming that promotes economic growth and improves livelihoods throughout the developing world. They specialize in demand-driven analytics, evaluation, capacity building, and learning projects and have an 11-year track record in implementing USAID projects. They have completed over 100 activities across 52 different countries, impacting millions of stakeholders, and leveraging over $1.2 billion in public and private investment for development reforms.
The client is seeking a Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) to serve in a technical leadership role in the company. The client’s International Development projects are sponsored by the U.S. Agency for International Development, Department of State, Millennium Challenge Corporation, and other commercial or non-profit clients. Engagements tend to focus on advancing and assessing programs in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Eastern/Central Europe.
This position will report to the Chief Technical Officer and is based in Washington DC.
· Provide technical review and oversight of project plans and deliverables for MEL and technical assistance engagements, ensuring that best practices are applied and quality assurance standards are met.
· Guide the design and implementation of client’s assessments and evaluations, including overseeing inception reports / work plans, data collection, data analysis and report writing.
· Develop and manage short-term MEL and Collaboration Learning and Adapting (CLA) project teams, including staff and expert consultants.
· Provide MEL/CLA technical advice and support services to USAID projects and activities, including project performance monitoring plans (PMP), project indicators, learning agendas, on-the-job coaching, pause and reflect sessions, workshops and trainings.
· Support business development efforts including proposal writing with an emphasis on articulate written technical approaches, risk assessment/mitigation, and best practice application.
· Advanced degree in a relevant field of study such as in development evaluation, economics, statistics, demography, international development or other social science fields.
· At least 15 years of MEL experience with 10 or more years of that experience applied in the context of USAID, MCC, and/or DOS projects.
· Experience leading evaluation teams consisting of staff, consultants, subcontractors and field collection teams—delivering on schedule and budget.
· Proven ability to gather and analyze data and to prepare concise and well-written reports/presentations and visually effective graphics for different audiences—technical, management, and other stakeholders.
· Experience in designing systems for cleaning, analyzing, reporting, and archiving data to facilitate evidence-based organizational learning.
· Demonstrated ability to exercise overall quality control, meeting high technical and editorial standards in written products. Exceptional proficiency in written and spoken English.
· Experience in MEAL proposal development with emphasis on effective articulation of technical approach in writing and graphics—demonstrating innovation, risk management, and local capacity development.
· Proficiency in statistical analysis and good knowledge of at least one statistical package (e.g., SPSS, R, Stata, SAS) preferred with underlying skills in basic data presentation or organization tools (e.g., MS Excel).
The client has hired GRS to assist with sourcing applicants for this position. Candidates should submit a cover letter and CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
The Client Supports a Diverse and Inclusive Culture