DIRECTOR, STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
DIRECTOR, STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
Client: Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://rspo.org/about
Reporting: to the CEO
Location: Malaysia, Indonesia, or Singapore (The ASEAN Region) preferred
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable.
At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its members and staff. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phase of our development.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Stakeholder Engagement is responsible for creating, implementing, and evaluating a global engagement strategy that increases the organisation’s visibility and reputation as a standard setter and thought leader in sustainable development, climate change, environmental protection, and human rights, working closely with the Market Transformation team to reach a larger share of the commercial palm oil market and make sustainable palm oil the norm.
The Director, Stakeholder Engagement leads four global teams covering Government Affairs, Marketing and Communications, Stakeholder Engagement , and Digital Communications.
The location of this role is flexible, preferably in the ASEAN region.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
· Design and implement a global stakeholder engagement and policy strategy for RSPO that is aligned with the objectives of the Theory of Change.
· Lead and develop a global team of marketing and communications professionals spanning Asia, Africa, Europe, LatAm, and North America.
· Set goals, objectives, activities, and metrics for stakeholder engagement in line with RSPO’s 5-year operational plan.
· As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, coordinate with Directors, Committees, and stakeholders to drive and support regional and local communications plans that are aligned with RSPO’s core messaging and branding.
· Create and manage a divisional budget: set targets, track expenses, and oversee external contracts with vendors.
· Evaluate progress on stakeholder engagement strategy, seek out best practices.
· Establish integrated communications strategies to deliver core RSPO objectives based on the PESO methodology.
· Build relationships and manage contacts with key journalists, editors and other media stakeholders; and manage the global voice of the organisation by being the spokesperson as required.
· Provide creative direction on the strategic preparation and implementation of press materials, online communications, newsletters and other communications activities especially focused on a multi stakeholder engagement scenario.
· Serve as RSPO’s representative in public events, generate speaking opportunities, and provide talking points and speeches for CEO, Executive Leadership Team and key organisational spokespeople to expand the organisation’s reach.
· Oversee the organisational style guide, and supervise visual branding and promotional projects (from concept to implementation to evaluation), liaising with staff and vendors.
· Oversee the management of the website and online content development, and supervise digital outreach and social media strategy (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
· Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organisation and define and execute appropriate strategies to address them in a timely fashion.
· Support the CEO / COO and the Board of Governors of RSPO in proactively handling issues through risk management plans and trend-spotting.
· Build and supervise a global Government Relations Unit to develop external policy communications and advocacy strategies for global policy makers and government entities to gain a seat at the table for RSPO.
· Develop a deep understanding of the diverse network of community organisations and be a champion of RSPO’s Smallholders Strategy and Jurisdictional Approaches to improve the breadth and inclusivity of RSPO certification.
· Oversee RSPO’s "Intermediary Organisations Outreach" programmes in South East Asia, Africa and Latin America aimed at capacity building and sustainable development socialisation within local communities and grassroot NGOs in these regions.
· Build, mentor, and lead a team promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
· Work with the Human Resource Division to ensure that the learning needs of staff in relation to communication and outreach activities are identified and that appropriate training is provided.
· Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
Must have at least 15 years of communications, outreach and market development experience, preferably in a leadership role within international multicultural organisations (commercial or non-profit), and covering areas such as media relations, government affairs, and global multi stakeholder communications.
Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it in the right language and to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
· Highly collaborative style; experience in developing and implementing communications strategies and has an in-depth understanding of the global press and social media
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
· A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
· Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
· High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both strategic and tactical levels
· Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, RSPO members, stakeholders and other supporters
· Self-starter, able to work independently, and enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
· Exceptional at learning on the fly
· Must be willing to take calculated risks and try new approaches to solve tough problems
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and interact with different stakeholders
· Fluency in English is a must with excellent communication skills
· Proficiency in multiple global widely spoken languages will be an advantage
· Ability in establishing cooperation and rapport with internal and external parties of different backgrounds and/or nationalities
· High integrity and a good team player
· Goal oriented and organised
· Self-motivated and self-directed
· Ability to work under pressure
· Strong in strategic and negotiation skills
WHAT’S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
RSPO has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Donna Gillotte, Recruiter
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.