DEPUTY DIRECTOR, MALAYSIA AND THAILAND
DEPUTY DIRECTOR, MALAYSIA AND THAILAND
Client: Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://rspo.org/about
Reporting: To the Director of Market Transformation
Location: Preferred location of this role is Malaysia
Required: Fluency in English, written and spoken. Working proficiency in local languages is an advantage.
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a not-for-profit, international membership organisation that is working to transform markets to make sustainable palm oil the norm. To do this, we have united stakeholders from all sectors of the palm oil supply chain and civil society to develop and implement global standards for sustainable palm oil production and procurement.
Since its inception in 2004, RSPO has enjoyed rapid growth and today has close to 5,000 members from 100 countries, including oil palm producers, processors, traders, consumer goods manufacturers, retailers, banks, and non-governmental organisations. Thanks to the commitments and actions of these members, nearly 20% of the global supply of palm oil has already been certified as sustainable. At RSPO, we believe that a not-for-profit organisation is made successful by the passion, skills, and expertise of its people. They are the ones who drive our organisation to new heights and guide us through the next phases of our development.
The Deputy Director Malaysia and Thailand will be fully responsible for managing the RSPO operations and coordinating Secretariat activities in Malaysia and Thailand, with other global offices. S/he will ensure that RSPO's regional direction is coherent and fully aligned with the organisation's global positioning and engage with key stakeholders and policy makers to ensure RSPO achieves its vision to make sustainable palm oil the norm.
The Deputy Director is also responsible for setting annual targets on market transformation in terms of membership growth and increased production and uptake of certified sustainable palm oil, and enhance the relevance of RSPO in the region RSPO's reputation in the region. The Deputy Director will manage a team of specialists and work as part of a global team to deliver the strategic plan.
The preferred location of this role is Malaysia.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but will not be limited to the following:
· Manage the daily operational activities of the RSPO Secretariat in Malaysia and Thailand, and guide the RSPO Secretariat team, including communicating clear directions and roles and responsibilities.
· Coordinate the work of the Malaysia and Thailand teams across all departments/units and with other regional offices to ensure full alignment with the organisational objectives as prescribed by RSPO 's senior management.
· Strengthen the position of RSPO in Malaysia and Thailand through the engagement of stakeholders that include Governments / Corporates / NGOs / Inter Governmental organisations/ Palm Oil related organisations / Smallholder groups etc.
· Engage proactively with key opinion leaders to influence regulatory frameworks and enhance the production and use of certified sustainable palm oil in Malaysia and Thailand.
· Implement the RSPO operational strategy based on the Theory of Change and ensure that the timelines and outputs are in line with the work plan for Malaysia and Thailand.
· In collaboration and alignment with the Shared Responsibility (SR) Unit, develop specific country/region SR strategies with local partners.
· Provide support, direction and guidance to the smallholder programme / grievance system and other departments/units relating to activities in Malaysia and Thailand.
· Understand the Malaysian and Thai palm oil landscape and work with the Assurance, Technical, Membership, and Standard Development teams to identify and develop opportunities for growth in these markets.
· Oversee and provide direction on the communication and marketing activities of RSPO and the RSPO trademark in Malaysia and Thailand.
· Identify and participate in key events that are strategic to RSPO's mandate, and be the spokesperson for RSPO with relevant stakeholder engagements, as well as providing advice and input of strategic and policy significance, helping to facilitate decision making.
· Prepare and submit an annual operational budget for Malaysia and Thailand to the Director of Market Transformation for review and approval, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
· Coach and motivate staff, identify learning opportunities for staff development and advancement, track work progress to build staff competence on the job and encourage motivation, proactiveness, and job satisfaction of the staff in Malaysia and Thailand.
Apart from the duties stated above, to perform any duty or duties reasonably assigned.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT
· A Bachelor's Degree in relevant field.
· A minimum of 15 years working experience, including in general management at a senior level
· and a track record of building, leading, and evolving high performing teams.
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
· Familiar with palm oil sustainability standard schemes (eg. RSPO, MSPO, ISPO etc).
· Good understanding on RSPO's certification process, farming and supply chains.
· Ability to manage multiple stakeholders and/or projects.
· Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
· Strong business acumen with the ability to synthesise key themes and deliverables from objectives and strategies defined by senior management.
· Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, negotiation, cross- team
· project management and consensus-building.
· Ability to manage multiple stakeholders and/or projects
· Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to be effective independently
· Able to plan, allocate and monitor resources to meet fiscal targets and ensure proper budget
· Emotional maturity, patience, curiosity, and a sustained willingness to change one's mind.
· Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced
· Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
· Fluency in English, written and spoken. Working proficiency in local languages is an advantage.
WHAT'S ON OFFER
Your commitment and passion to drive innovation will be rewarded with an opportunity to work in an
international multi-stakeholder organisation, where making a difference to People, Planet and Prosperity is not just a statement, but what we passionately believe in. Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment, you will enjoy functioning within a role that offers the opportunity to broaden your skill set and develop your capabilities.
HOW TO APPLY
RSPO has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Search Manager
Global Recruitment Specialists "Positioning You for Success"
Norwalk, CT 06851 USA
Telephone: +1- 203-899-0499
**RSPO is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.