Chief Financial Officer
Client: HarvestPlus (Http://www.harvestplus.org)
Location: WASHINGTON, DC
Report to: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
JOB SUMMARY HarvestPlus is seeking a highly motivated Chief Financial Officer to lead the operational oversight of HarvestPlus’ financial matters, reporting directly to the HarvestPlus Chief Executive Officer. The CFO will play a key role in a global review of current systems, and will be charged not only with the ongoing oversight of HarvestPlus finance and administration functions, but also play an especially important role in the review and resolution of the current operating complexities posed by the current cross-organizational accounting and contracting.
In addition to HarvestPlus Program, the candidate will assume the role of the CFO of HarvestPlus Solutions Inc. (H+S), a newly formed not-for-profit legal entity in the US to scale up biofortified food products and innovatively raise funds. The candidate will also take a leadership role in setting up an international presence for H+S, recommending appropriate structures, and developing financial systems and governance processes to successfully incorporate legal entities.
This exempt position is a three-year, fixed-term appointment, and is renewable contingent upon continued satisfactory performance and program funding. The position is located at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC.
BACKGROUND HarvestPlus improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals and providing global leadership on biofortification evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. HarvestPlus is based at the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and collaborates with multiple CGIAR centers and partner organizations.
· Provide information and advice to the HarvestPlus CEO and senior management to ensure the financial and physical resources of HarvestPlus are optimally managed.
· Ensure an effective framework is in place for informed decision-making, including appropriate financial and risk management strategies, internal audits, compliance policies, organizational planning, and reporting.
· Oversee preparation and timely distribution of the HarvestPlus and H+S annual budget, long-term forecasts, and regular financial and management reports in accordance with internal and external obligations.
· Provide direct oversight for finance, human resources, and administration functions across HarvestPlus and H+S.
· Support all managers by providing information, advice, general support, and capacity building as needed.
· Monitor budget and expense trends; recommend and implement corrective actions as required.
· Review, develop, and implement financial policies, procedure, and practices; recommend improvements to financial processes and controls.
· Develop and implement systems that ensure smooth operations of HarvestPlus and H+S.
· Oversee the HarvestPlus and H+S risk management system, including field programs and partnerships.
· Provide legal and secretarial oversight to HarvestPlus and H+S.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
Overall Financial, Taxation, Legal, Human Resources, Administration, and Contract Management
· Provide guidance and leadership in development of overall budgets, grants, and contracts, supervising the HarvestPlus Finance and Administration team, and providing guidance and oversight for the overall program and H+S.
· Improve system monitoring tools and monitor operational budgets.
· Ensure timely submission and review of financial reports.
· Assist in drafting, reviewing, and monitoring legal aspects of contracts, MOUs, and other agreements in coordination with IFPRI/CIAT finance and contracts offices and H+S needs.
· Responsible for H+S legal, tax compliance, and planning
· Coordinate human resources function with various CGIAR centers globally through which HarvestPlus workforce is employed. Understand policies and procedures of these Centres and execute HarvestPlus human capital agenda with appropriate adjustments to such policies, when appropriate and needed, in collaboration with HR leadership of these centers.
Country Level Oversight and Capacity Strengthening
· Lead the development of office hosting agreements/arrangements with other CGIAR centers and other institutions in target countries, including negotiation on financial monitoring and processing, human resource issues, and other related coordination where required.
· Provide capacity building for finance and contracts staff through the finance functional team.
Policy and Processes Oversight
· Work closely with senior management to ensure compliance with administrative and financial policies and processes of the respective centers.
· Analyze HarvestPlus and H+S operating structure for opportunities for achieving greater efficiencies and effectiveness, including analysis and development of any new system needs requested by senior management, the Program Advisory Committee, or the Board of Directors of H+S, including, but not limited to:
o Internal control environment – processes and procedures
o Financial, budgeting, and costing systems and management
o Resource utilization
· Identify operational risks and recommend mitigating actions, engaging with the Program Advisory Committee’s Audit Sub-Committee and H+S Audit Committee, as required.
· Manage due diligence processes and requirements for grants/contracts.
· Address audit recommendations and issue analysis and implementation for HarvestPlus and H+S system wide, developing solutions as required.
· Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 20 years of relevant experience, or an MBA or other advanced degree plus a minimum of 18 years of experience. Required relevant experience includes experience in finance, administration, and auditing with at least 10 years in management, preferably in an international organization, non-profit organization, and/or a multinational company.
· Experience in business development in the agriculture and food sector, and the ability to create alliances and partnerships with private sector.
· Exemplary leadership and people management skills, including excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills; the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues in a diverse multicultural and fast-paced team environment.
· Demonstrated familiarity with finance systems in complex developing markets in a multi-country or regional role, preferably in Africa, Asia, or Latin America.
· Proven experience in successfully building or reorganizing a financial system, preferably in a cross-organizational, multi-country context.
· Broad knowledge of finance and human resources functions, and experience in contract administration.
· Experience in effectively managing public private partnership funds and grants.
· Strong analytical and organizational skills, including a demonstrated ability to conduct complex analysis of financial data and to forecast/assess the financial impact of proposed plans/projects. • Excellent planning and organizational skills, and detail orientation.
· Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
· Ability and willingness to travel to developing countries (approximately 30% time).
· Understanding of US GAAP and IFRS.
· Experience in marketing and/or a startup environment.
· CPA or equivalent certification.
HarvestPlus has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Patrick Shields, Executive Director and Search Manager
🌍 Global Recruitment Specialists “Positioning You for Success”
Norwalk, Connecticut (CT) 06851 USA
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is an equal employment opportunity employer - F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.