Volunteer Board Member
Volunteer Board Member
Organization: UnderOneRoof - http://underoneroofinc.org/
Location: Norwalk, Connecticut, USA
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
We are currently recruiting diverse leaders with expertise to join our 100% giving board in the following areas: fundraising; advocacy; finance, legal; accounting, communications, and community outreach.
Mission: The mission of Under One Roof is to provide quality, affordable congregate housing with supportive services to senior adults and a subsidized school readiness preschool program – all with an intergenerational philosophy.
Under One Roof owns and operates The Marvin and The Marvin Children’s Center in East Norwalk
· The Marvin offers Affordable, high quality not-for-profit housing for the frail elderly with services (49 apartments)
· “Shared site” - Intergenerational programming component
· The Marvin Children’s Center - Accredited school readiness program on-site for 3- and 4-year old's (40 children)
· Programming with local elementary, middle, and high school children throughout the school year
· The only facility of its kind in Connecticut (with both congregate housing and childcare) and a national model for elder housing with services
· Not a nursing home; independent living in apartments; provide assisted living services when needed
· Services provided include housekeeping, one meal a day, 24 hours a day staff, and social, wellness and entertainment
· Opened in 1997
· 2 – 2 ½ year senior housing waiting list
· More than half the residents are over age 85
· Primarily funded with state housing and state school readiness funds, residents’ rental payments and parent fees
· State housing and school readiness funding are not increasing to meet increasing expenses
· Many long-tenured board members have reached term limits, so we are looking for new board members
· Previous experience on a non-profit board is preferred but not required.
· Expertise in fundraising, accounting/finance, strategic planning, and communications is a plus.
· Attend eight to ten board meetings in year, preferably in person (during Covid-19, we have been meeting virtually). Review all board meeting materials in advance. Actively participate in discussion and decision making.
· Participate on one to two board committees. Collaborate, as necessary, with other board members on committee initiatives in between full board meetings.
· (Do you want to include this even though it hasn’t started?)Participate in fund development and board recruitment initiatives to ensure long-term stability of the organization.
· Make a meaningful, annual financial donation (no minimum amount) to the organization
· New members serve a one-year term and then may be re-elected for up to three three-year terms
How to Apply:
Please email a letter of interest to Patrick Shields Shields@globalrecruitment.net In this email please indicate why you might be interested in this position and what skills might you bring to the board. A mutually convenient phone call will be arranged to answer your specific questions.